US will play "support" role in second phase of Libya operation

Arab World Materials 24 March 2011 23:53 (UTC +04:00)

The United States will play a supporting role in the longer-term enforcement of a no-fly zone over Libya and will not contribute any fighter jets to the international operation, White House spokesman Jay Carney said Thursday, dpa reported.

Carney said the United States' contribution to coalition forces would include radar jamming and providing intelligence, once the US military hands over its command of the military operation in Libya, which was launched Saturday.

"The United States will continue to have a role, but it will not be a lead role in the enforcement of the no-fly zone. It will be a support-and-assist role," Carney told reporters.

"We have also said that US military aircraft will not be engaged in enforcement of the no-fly zone," Carney said.

Since Saturday, the United States and allies including Britain and France have sent fighter jets and fired missiles at anti-aircraft defences and other targets in Libya to enforce a United Nations- mandated no-fly zone that is designed to stop Libyan leader Moamer Gaddafi from killing civilians.

The United States had already said it would take a secondary role once the no-fly zone has been effectively put in place. But when the US will hand over command remains unclear, amid disagreements within the international community over who should lead the second phase.

Tags:

Latest

Latest