A total of 19 Palestinians were injured overnight and Tuesday morning as the Israeli military struck at Palestinian militants in response to a series of rocket and mortar attacks launched from the salient, dpa reported.
Two militants were wounded Tuesday morning, in what the Israeli military described as an unsuccessful attempt to launch an anti-tank missile in the northern Gaza Strip.
Adham Abu Selmeya, spokesman for Gaza emergency and ambulance services, told reporters that 17 people had been injured overnight, when Israeli aircraft struck targets belonging to the armed wing of Hamas and also hit metal workshops, a garage and a brick factory.
The Israeli strikes come after an upsurge in Palestinian rocket and mortar attacks from the Strip, which Hamas said were launched in response to unspecified "ongoing Israeli crimes."
According to the Israeli miliary, the militants fired close to 50 rockets and mortars, and at least two anti-tank missiles at southern Israel over the weekend.