A Syrian official on Tuesday said the government would announce its plan to attract tourists to the country, as opposition activists vowed on Tuesday to continued to organize anti-government protests, DPA reported.
"The ministry will announce an exceptional plan to promote tourism in the country, to re-attract tourists to Syria after the sector was severely affected by the current events," an official from the tourism ministry who asked not to be named said.
"The ministry urged travel agencies not to cancel their tours because the riots are not permanent and will not affect the country's stability or the local economy," the official told the German Press Agency dpa.
The last month has seen mass countrywide protests calling on President Bashar al-Assad to step down and violent government crackdowns on such gatherings, notably in the southern city of Daraa.
There have been reports of protesters killed but figures cannot be verified as foreign journalists and human rights groups are mostly barred from Syria.
Activists have been uploading many videos of anti-government protests to the internet and using various websites to organize the protests and share information.
"Today, Tuesday, is the day of loyalty to the martyrs, those injured and prisoners. Our cause is clear. A popular, peaceful revolution that aims at achieving freedom," activists wrote on the Syrian Revolution 2011 Facebook page.
Al-Assad has moved to appease protesters by sacking the government and several regional governors. He has also promised higher salaries, the release of political prisoners and a possible repeal of controversial emergency laws.
State media reported Monday that he has given the honorary title of "martyr" to people killed in clashes between security forces and protesters in recent days, and released 191 detained protesters.