Writers in Egypt's opposition newspapers said Saturday their columns would appear blank in protest against alleged restrictions imposed by the country's military rulers on freedom of the press.
The writers said on their Facebook page that the "Blank Columns Initiative" was to show "full opposition to any bid to curb freedoms" gained after a popular revolt unseated Hosny Mubarak as president in February, dpa reported.
Issues of two Egyptian opposition newspapers were confiscated this week by authorities without giving reasons.
Journalists claimed the papers were confiscated for publishing stories on the military rulers who have been in control of Egypt since Mubarak's ouster.
An emergency law, reactivated by the Egyptian government last month, has resulted in repressive practices and a decline in freedom of expression in post-Mubarak Egypt, say human rights advocates.