...

Colombian government hopes rebels will listen to Chavez

Other News Materials 10 June 2008 02:22 (UTC +04:00)

The Colombian government expressed hope Monday that rebels of the leftist Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) would listen to Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez's call upon them to release their hostages unilaterally.

"I think time has come for FARC to release all the hostages they have there in the mountains. It would be a great humanitarian gesture, in exchange for nothing," Chavez said Sunday in his weekly television programme Alo Presidente.

"Having a group of people, especially civilians but also members of the military, up a mountain is not the same as being in jail. I was in prison two-and-a-half years (for a failed coup attempt in 1992), but my wife came to see me everyday, and my parents on weekends," Chavez said.

Colombian Defence Minister Juan Manuel Santos said on Monday, "I hope FARC listen to Chavez."

FARC are believed to be holding more than 700 hostages, some of them kidnapped over 10 years ago, including a group of some 40 hostages, such as former presidential candidate Ingrid Betancourt, that the rebels consider politically-relevant and plan to exchange for imprisoned rebels.

The left-wing populist Chavez mediated to obtain the release of several hostages earlier this year.

Santos told Colombian radio station RCN that he was surprised to hear Chavez's comments and noted that former Cuban leader Fidel Castro spoke on a similar note four or five years ago.

"The important thing is that this translates into facts. What we are most interested in is that our neighbours cooperate in the fight against terrorism. It would be great news," Santos said.

In Washington, State Department spokesman Sean McCormack welcomed Chavez's comments but added they must be followed up with action.

"Well, those are certainly good words. And we would encourage Venezuela to follow those good words with concrete actions and seek to - and the Venezuelan government should make every effort, public and private, to distance itself from any relationship it may have had with the FARC," he said.

"So we'll see whether or not these words from President Chavez are just that: words. We'll see if those words are followed up by concrete action," McCormack added.

Based on the contents of computers found in the possession of rebel leaders, Colombia has in recent months accused both Venezuelan and Ecuadorian authorities of having ties with FARC. However, both Caracas and Quito have denied the allegations amid great diplomatic tensions.

Santos also said that a group of Colombian soldiers saw three US citizens held hostage by leftist rebels since 2003, but did not attempt to free them and then lost track of the former contractors.

He explained that the soldiers saw Thomas Howes, Keith Stansell and Marc Gonsalves as the three were taking a bath in the river Apaporis, in the southern Colombian province of Guaviare. The men were being watched by several members of FARC.

The minister told RCN that the soldiers were so close to the hostages that they heard them talking, although they could not understand what the three were saying because they spoke in English.

The soldiers told their superiors about the sighting. However, when a larger group returned to the place where the hostages had been bathing the rebels had left with the US citizens. The authorities then lost track of the group.

Santos did not say when the sighting happened, but stressed that the country's military forces continued to look for all hostages held by FARC, including Betancourt. The families of the kidnapped victims reject this strategy and claim that it is too risky for their loved ones.

Gonsalves, Stansell and Howes were kidnapped in February 2003, when the plane they were travelling in crashed in southern Colombia. They were under contract with the US Department of Defence and were active in anti-drug tasks in Colombia.

It remains unknown whether the plane crashed due to mechanical failure or was brought down by FARC. The three were travelling with fellow-US citizen Thomas Janis and with Colombian Army sergeant Luis Alcides Cruz, both of whom were reportedly killed by the rebels.

Former Colombian senator Luis Eladio Perez, a hostage of FARC for close to seven years and released in January, said Monday that he is "completely sure" that there will be other releases "very soon."

"I think things are going to happen very soon. I have no doubt that several of the kidnapped are at this moment walking along the path to freedom," Perez said, according to dpa.

Latest

Latest