Azerbaijan, Baku, April 16 / Trend S.Agayeva /
The Azerbaijani Foreign and Ecology and Natural Resources Ministries develop a specific material proving a danger of the Metsamor nuclear power plant to submit to the international organizations, Ecology and Natural Resources Minister Huseyngulu Bagirov told reporters on Saturday.
He said extensive correspondence and discussions are being conducted with the IAEA on this issue.
Armenia today conducts a total war and uses all means, Bagirov said.
"This threats Azerbaijan, Turkey and Georgia, but it is doubly dangerous for Armenia," he said.
Bagirov said Armenia should certainly suspend the plant.
The Metsamor plant was built in 1970.
After the devastating Spitak earthquake the activity of this plant had been suspended, but in 1995, despite international protests, the work of the station was reactivated, and in addition, the second reactor was launched. Despite the fact that the EU has demanded the immediate closure of the station until 2011 and declared its readiness to assign 100 million euro to Armenia to cover its energy needs, the country has not agreed to this. Armenia does not hide that it intends to use Metsamor until 2016, and in the longer term, even until 2031. Given the large number of minor earthquakes in the past 10 years in this area, as well as the intensification of seismic processes that is indicated by seismologist researches, in case of a big accident taking place at Metsamor not only Armenia, but also all countries in the Southern Caucasus and the Middle East would be seriously affected.