...

Barak tells Gaza inquiry interception was badly executed

Arab-Israel Relations Materials 10 August 2010 19:23 (UTC +04:00)

Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak said Tuesday he took full responsibility for the lethal interception of an aid flotilla to Gaza by the Israel navy, in which nine Turkish pro-Palestinian activists were killed, DPA reported.

But speaking at the Israeli commission investigating the take- over, he said: "If the decision to (intercept) was correct, then the gap between what we wanted and what emerged is in the execution."

The decision to stop the flotilla and not allow it to breach Israel's blockade of Gaza had been "correct and reasonable," he told the Israeli commission of inquiry set up to look into the May 31 incident.

"I carry the full and overall responsibility for what happens in the levels subordinate to me," he added,referring to the Israeli defence ministry as well as the Israeli military.

Barak said the forum of seven senior ministers headed by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and of which he is a member had thoroughly weighed the dilemma whether to stop the six ships carrying aid to Gaza or to let it pass.

"The choice wasn't between good or evil, but between two evils.

"The blockade is vital to avoid turning Gaza into a huge weapons cache for use against the citizens of the state," he argued.

Barak was testifying to the Israeli commission the day after Netanyahu gave his evidence.

The Israeli premier said Monday that the Israeli naval commandos who overpowered the ships in international waters as it headed for Gaza had received orders to avoid loss of life.

Nine Turks and an American of Turkish descent were killed when the takeover of one of the ships in the six-ship convoy turned violent, with conflicting accounts given by the Israeli military and the flotilla participants.

The military claim a mob on board the Turkish Mavi Marmara attacked them with sticks and knives and snatched the gun of one soldier. The activits claim the Israeli commandos opened fire on civilian activists without justification as they repelled on board from helicopters.

The Israeli commission, called "The Public Commission to Examine the Maritime Incident of May 31 2010," is headed by retired Supreme Court justice Jacob Turkel.

In addition to the supreme court judge, it comprises four Israeli officials, including a former director-general of the foreign ministry, and two foreign observers - David Trimble from Northern Ireland and retired Canadian Brigadier Ken Watkin.

Unrelated to the Israeli Turkel committee, United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon last week set up another commission of inquiry into the incident, with which Israel is cooperating. That panel was slated to meet for the first time in New York on Tuesday.

Latest

Latest